Blue Oyster Cult – The Columbia Albums Collection
Legacy Recordings has set the bar high for all other bands who wish to release a career spanning box set. BOC’s Columbia Albums Collection hits the streets on November 6th and every Cult maniac in the world will be smiling ear-to-ear when they open the set up and view the 17-disc set.
The box set celebrates Blue Oyster Cult’s 40th anniversary and features all of their studio albums from 1972 through 1988. The band’s three Columbia released live albums, On Your Feet or On Your Knees, Some Enchanted Evening and Extraterrestrial Live are also in the set, as are two discs of rarities and a bootleg quality rare DVD from 1978.
If that is not enough, in the box, fans will find a download code for an additional four live concert broadcasts and a 40 page book with tons of photos and extensive liner notes.
BOC are a true cult band and their fans are rabidly interested in everything they do. This set is a dream come true for them. The price tag for all of this is under $120 making it very affordable.
BOC is an album band, so you not only get the “Godzilla’s,” the ”Burnin’ for You’s” and the “Don’t Feat the Reaper’s” but also the cult classic album cuts like “Fireworks,” “I’m on the Lamb but I Ain’t No Sheep,” “She’s As Beautiful as a Foot” and “Tattoo Vampire.” All of the bonus tracks from BOC’s 2001 remasters are also included in the box set.
The CD release of Imaginos will be very sought after as this is a rare find on CD. Several discs, Imaginos, On Your Feet or On Your Knees, Mirrors, Cultosaurus Erectus, Fire of Unknown Origin, Extraterrestial Live, The Revolution by Night and Club Ninja have all been remastered in 2012, as well . The live albums and Mirrors were in desperate need of remastering since their original release, these new remasters will be literally music to Cult fan’s ears.
Blue Oyster Cult and Legacy Recordings prove their sincerity to their fans by putting in the hard work on this collection. Having all of these songs, plus the bonus tracks, rarities, downloads and the book, all in one collection that easily fits easily into your CD rack, is awesome. There are literally hours and hours of great music to be enjoyed.
From the self-titled debut to Secret Treaties to Agents of Fortune to Spectres to Fire of Unknown Origin to Imaginos there is only one Blue Oyster Cult. Nowhere on planet earth can one find so much of it all in one place.
Here are the albums included in the The Columbia Albums Collection’ Box Set:
1. ‘Blue Oyster Cult’ (1972 – studio – with 2001 CD bonus tracks)
2. ‘Tyranny and Mutation’ (1973 – studio – with 2001 CD bonus tracks)
3. ‘Secret Treaties’ (1974 – studio – with 2001 CD bonus tracks)
4. ‘On Your Feet or on Your Knees’ (1975 – live) – 2012 Remaster
5. ‘Agents of Fortune’ (1976 – studio – with 2001 CD bonus tracks)
6. ‘Spectres’ (1977 – studio – with 2007 CD bonus tracks)
7. ‘Some Enchanted Evening CD’ (1978 – live – with 2007 CD bonus tracks)
8. ‘Some OTHER Enchanted Evening’ DVD (1978 – live)
9. ‘Mirrors’ (1979 – studio) – 2012 Remaster
10. ‘Cultosaurus Erectus’ (1980 – studio) – 2012 Remaster
11. ‘Fire of Unknown Origin’ (1981 – studio) – 2012 Remaster
12. ‘Extraterrestrial Live’ (1982 – live) – 2012 Remaster
13. ‘The Revolution By Night’ (1983 – studio) – 2012 Remaster
14. ‘Club Ninja’ (1985 – studio) – 2012 Remaster
15. ‘Imaginos (1988 – studio) – 2012 Remaster
17. ‘Radios Appear: The Best of the Broadcasts’
By Jeb Wright
The views of the comments below are not necessarily those of Classic Rock Revisited